Isabel Roman talks About Her Craft

I’m thrilled to bring you another guest author to the blog….Please welcome Isabel Roman as she talks about books, genres and her craft….Isabel thank you for being my guest today….

**********************************************************

First I’d like to thank Savannah for having me! Next I’d like to invite everyone to her Yahoo! Group on Friday June 5 at 7 p.m. EST for an Author Corner with me.
I’m Isabel Roman, an author with Ravenous Romance, which is how I met Savannah. Who’ve, I discovered, spends more time than I do on marketing! My heroine. JI write various things, my Druid series is a paranormal historical set in the 1880s and spans from England to Philadelphia, to the Egyptian desert. I also have a non-paranormal series of books called Wicked Seductions where my heroine always gets what—and who—she wants.
I have a BA in American History, a MLS from Drexel University in Library Science. (Yes in my ‘other’ life I’m a public librarian as well as a business woman.) Among other genres, I read historical fiction and literary non-fiction, I have more History Channel DVDs than is healthy, and love the paranormal.

A friend once joked that I could stand under a lamppost and come up with a story. She’s not far off. My brain never really shuts off and with so many ideas out there, plus the fact I don’t have nearly enough time to get to all of them, it makes for a messy computer. I have file after file with neat little folder titles like Civil War or Archaeology or Poem Story (no I have no idea what this story is about, I read the document inside the folder and still have no idea!) with ideas, mini-plots, and who knows what all else.

I started writing in college during classes. Little scenes I could see clearly in my mind and had to write down. Half my notebooks were filled with class stuff and the other half with little scenes filled with conflict and angst (I love angst!) and sarcasm. I tried for humor, it came out sarcastic. I still can’t write humor past one-liners. But they were always romances; it was what I’d grown up reading. I have my mother’s category romances to thank for that, though I’m sure she didn’t envision me writing erotic romances at the time. She has dealt with this admirably.

But then I’m a fan of the hot historical. Or hot contemporary for that matter. 😉 People have always had sex, premarital, martial, extramarital, you name it, I’m not writing anything different than what actually happened!

But enough about historicals. Let’s talk paranormal!

I once made a list of all paranormal entities and crossed off those that were very popular. Gone were werewolves and vampires, not that I don’t have one story each with those, lol, it’s all but impossible not to! Gone were the ones I wasn’t interested in: Demons? Only as baddies, it’s hard to have a huge misshapen demon as a hero. (And I don’t even want to think how they have see. Ew!) Plus it’s very convenient. They’re always evil. Pity.

After all this, which didn’t take as long as I’ve made it sound, I decided on what hadn’t been done very often.

Which is how I came up with my Druids series. Sexy Victorians and illicit rendezvous, Druid thinking on love and sex versus Victorian prudishness. Yum. The juxtaposition is a lot of fun to work with, and added a dimension to interpersonal relationships on Victorian thinking within the Druid community. At its simplest form, it’s nature/nurture. Their environment affects their opinions: Victorian mores affect them more than they realize despite their Druidic beliefs.

There’s a scene in Murder & Magick where Raven and her fiancé have a fight over him having had lovers while he expects her, despite their Druidic beliefs on sex before marriage, to remain pure until she marries him. That fight is one of my favorites, and really brings out male thinking on how their women should behave. Trust me, Raven blasts him for it.

It’s a theme that follows Gareth (the fiancé) throughout the series. In the end, he meets his match. But not before realizing his own hypocrisy.

As you can see, all four books are erotic. It’s more fun that way! And marketing has been loads of fun as well. I love talking about paranormal stories and ideas. I love talking about my Druids as well. I admit to not having read a lot of druidic romance, mostly because I knew I wanted to write one for a few years now, but the world I made up intrigues me even after the series is finished. I can revisit it over and over and find new and fun things to write and talk about. More importantly, (I like to think at least) it’s ongoing for the reader, too. So in talking about my Druid world, I can pull them into it and hook them.

Talking about the intricacies behind stories or new ideas within the book world is exciting, and much easier than talking to my non-writer friends whose eyes glaze over after about 90 seconds.

I hope you’ve enjoyed my babblings. If you have any questions, comments, or thoughts, please share. Though if you do, I caution: more ramblings of a crazed and obsessed writer ahead!

Thank you, and thanks again, Savannah!

Isabel Roman is a sci-fi loving, movie watching, occasionally paranormal, mostly erotic romance writer with way too many ideas and so little time to write them all down. You can find her all over the internet, and please don’t be shy about emailing her: Isabel@isabelroman.com

Isabel RomanJune 1st, 2009 at 11:24 am

Good Morning! Just want to thank you again, Savannah, for having me !

Savannah ChaseJune 1st, 2009 at 1:23 pm

You are very welcome, I’m so thrilled to have you here….You are such a fantastic author.

C. Margery KempeJune 1st, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Isabel — delightful! I had forgotten that you were the library woman. I should point you to my alter ego’s column on librarians, Guardians of the Planet!

As a medievalist, I’m also very fond of historical work, though I must admit most “medieval” histories make me wince. I would beg writers that if you’re going to use early modern or medieval language, get it right! I recently threw aside a book before I finished page one because it had a supposedly 16th century “witch’s confession” but didn’t know the difference between first person and second in verb conjugation. Major author, major publisher — apparently I’m one of the few put off by this, but I am.

Isabel RomanJune 1st, 2009 at 1:53 pm

“apparently I’m one of the few put off by this, but I am.”

No, CMK, no you’re not the only one put off by this! I stopped reading medievals because of all the modern language I found. Or the overabundance of accents and missing letters. *wince* I’ll check out your column! I love being a guardian of the planet!

And thank you, Savannah! That’s so sweet of you to say.

Ryan FieldJune 1st, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Good post. I love reading posts like this because I always learn something when I leave.

C. Margery KempeJune 1st, 2009 at 3:40 pm

As long as the language is consistent and genuine, I can forgive a lot. My previous novel twisted a few things and contained a few deliberate anachronisms, but I used them judiciously where the historical would have been more jarring.

I just HATE fake “miladying” as I always call it. You can have elevated diction that sounds nonetheless natural, but you have to know what you’re doing and make an effort.

Your stories strike me as in that vein: the characters sound both natural and of their time.

Inara/DanaJune 1st, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Isabel, what a fun article! I love hearing how other authors work and your story about the ‘poem story’ file on your computer and having no idea what it’s about just cracked me up, partially because I do that too. A friend sent me a mini-tape recorder to record ideas so I’d remember them.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in your Druid series and look forward to reading the rest of them!

Susan MacateeJune 1st, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Great post, Isabel! As you know, I love mixing romance genres too. It’s really a lot of fun. And yours are so unique!! Your characters are delicious as well!

Nancy GillilandJune 1st, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I always wanted to be a librarian, but they didn’t offer the courses here in town, so I my degree in education. But all of my favorite places have to do with books and reading. I did pick up Isabel’s first Druid book, and will be getting the others as soon as my paycheck allows. It is a fascinating time , and I recently learned that my family history is Celtic, so now I know why I’m so drawn to the times and places.

Lisa LaneJune 1st, 2009 at 7:04 pm

I enjoyed reading about your process, and how you came to start your Druid series, Isabel! Great post!

Caroline ClemmonsJune 1st, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Isabel, great blog. Thanks for sharing your thought process. My paranormal is a time travel and the heroine is clairvoyant. It was fun to write. Your Druid series sounds intriguing. I confess I would never have thought of Druids and Victorians in the same book, but it sounds logical when you explain it. I’ll look forward to reading them.

Isabel RomanJune 1st, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Thanks Dana! I swear I have ideas on my hard drive that have no rhyme or reason! Documents started that are pages and pages long and I can’t figure out the plot. If there is (or was) any. Plot bunnies as they were…at one time they sounded so promising! LOL, alas, now I haven’t a clue.

Lisa, it’s all true. I wanted paranormal, but different paranormal. I think I have my list (hand written as it was) someplace. I’ll have to revisit it soon.

Paisley KirkpatrickJune 1st, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I love your thought process, Isabel. It’s the way my brain creates characters and plots as well. Loved reading your blog.

Jeanmarie HamiltonJune 1st, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Isabel,
Great post about your writing. One of these days you’ll have fun rediscovering what’s inside those mystery files you’ve saved. 🙂
Yes, historicals are my fav reads and stories to write too.
Jeanmarie

Isabel RomanJune 1st, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Wow, when I checked the blog before leaving work, some of these posts weren’t showing. I’m sorry to have skipped over you all!

Ryan, I”m not sure what you learned, except that my brain is all over the place, lol, but thanks!

Nancy, I’m not sure I could’ve been a teacher-the mere thought of teaching children like me sent shivers of dread up my spine! And thank you for buying Murder and Magick, I hope you enjoy it and the rest of the books!

Susan, lol delicious characters? I love it!

Carloine, I honestly don’t remember why I chose the Victorian era, other than I love it so much. But it seemed to work with what I wanted my Druids to experience and accomplish.

Paisley, thanks 🙂 But my thought process? HA! Thank you for that! *G*

Jeanmarie, I think I might have to take the time to read over those files. If for no other reason than I mentioned them and now need to know!