OMG You Won a Trip SCAM

So I am sitting here working on getting my blogs from the Everything To Do With Sex Show to go live tomorrow and my cell phone rings. The person on the other line asked to speak to me. I’m calling to inform you that you have won a 8 day trip to the Bahamas.

You entered a ballot at the Everything To Do With Sex Show.

I had entered a few contests for trips and other prizes so I was like OMG. The lady goes on to tell me that I have to be the one who filled out the ballot and 18 years of age. Yes on both counts.

So congrats you won a trip worth $2500 dollars. If you fly out of the U.S.A you fly free but if you are flying from elsewhere we will give you discount vouchers for the cheapest flight. The trip includes car rental, food and more.

OK I’m thinking damn, I’ve never won anything. I have always wanted to go to the Bahamas. You can imagine I was super happy.

I was talking to a friend of mine on MSN while I was on the phone and told her.

I told the person on the other line to call me back tomorrow since I couldn’t decide now. Decide what? You had to pay $199 service fee to secure the deal.

Moments later I get a message from my friend to a site. The smile quickly went away when I saw that I was not alone out there getting these calls. So many other people got the call and it was a scam.

These two sites have stories of other people who got the YOU WON a trip call.

They want your credit card info and then you are screwed….

Warning the number they use changes each time so you have to watch out.

You can imagine that just burst my bubble. Damn it was a SCAM.

I suggest that when you get a phone call with something you won or other you check these two sites http://800notes.com and http://whocallsme.com

Who would have ever imagined????

These people suck so bad…

DeniseNovember 23rd, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Don’t people have something better to do then to scam people out of they’re hard working money? Like really? I’m so glad you didn’t do this and you didn’t lose any money! Thanks for the blog Savannah!

Patricia PellicaneNovember 23rd, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I got the same type of call once. About the same amount needed so I said I have to think about it and she said you have to take it now or the offer is no good. So I knew it was a lie.

Savannah ChaseNovember 23rd, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Denise they are smart because I had covered the Everything To Do With Sex Show and so one would not doubt this since I did enter for a few trips but sadly it is a scam and they super suck…

TiffanyNovember 23rd, 2010 at 6:05 pm

WHAT? Thats completely ridiculous!!!! People need to get lives when they’re doing things like this. And it’s just not one person it’s a bunch of people. Makes me sick! Thanks for the info!!

I guess people are looking for a fast buck…

DeniseNovember 23rd, 2010 at 6:05 pm

they do super suck lol…mind the pun lol

MichelleNovember 23rd, 2010 at 6:08 pm

When I answer those types of phone calls like” you won something”… I hang up. I rather watch the Brady Bunch movie than pick up the phone to those people.

Maureen McGowanNovember 23rd, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Like Michelle, I always hang up. I figure it’s either a scam or an attempt to sell time shares… Another whole kind of scam, IMHO, although I do know people who’ve been happy with theirs… I think they are the biggest rip off.

Thing is… If you actually do remember filling out a ballot, it seems less likely to be a scam. Do the people who organized that show know that someone there was scamming their attendees?

Suzanna MedeirosNovember 23rd, 2010 at 6:42 pm

We always stop people right after the “you won a trip/cruise/whatever”. It’s sad, but yes, it’s usually a scam. I don’t enter contests at shows/fairs any more. I find that the person holding the contest usually sells the list of names of entrants and then you start getting these scam calls.

Shelley MunroNovember 23rd, 2010 at 6:56 pm

That sucks, Savannah. The sad thing is that it obviously works because the Internet is full of people trying to scam others.

Savannah ChaseNovember 23rd, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Maureen I had filled out a ballot at the show and that is why this got me so angry. I fired off an email to the show organizers and people in chanrge telling them what is going on….

Thank you all for the comments….

I think it must be my lucky night because as I was cooking dinner I got yet another call but this time a machine telling me I won a trip to Florida…. My reply was BITE ME….

Kelly ThrashNovember 23rd, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I worked in the banking world for about 6 years I could write a whole blog on the scams I’ve seen that people fall for all the time!!! YOu really have to be caredul with your financial info. Never give it to anyone unless you are 100% positive you know what it’s for. I have more tips but way too many to list here! 🙂

Kelly
kittykelly28 @ hotmail.com

MichelleNovember 23rd, 2010 at 8:33 pm

You go savannah! instead of picking up those phone calls … .Lets all watch The Brady Bunch!!! YAY hehe just joking but seriously I don’t think they even get paid alot of money to call people either

Kissa StarlingNovember 23rd, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Well darn. I was hoping to get a call to accompany you too!!

Kissa see now no more trip…:(

Lorie ShewbridgeNovember 24th, 2010 at 1:23 am

That just SO totally sucks! They must have read somewhere that you were going to the show and found your phone number or just Googled your name and figured out where you were going to be and used that. I really cannot stand scammers – they just are the lowest (almost) form of life on earth.
I’m so glad you found out before you gave them your CC# and you lost more than your innocence.
HUGS!!!

Casey SheridanNovember 24th, 2010 at 10:02 am

I’m so sorry you didn’t really win. That sucks!

But I am glad you didn’t shell your credit card info. That would have cost you so much more than the $199 they quoted.

Never, never, never give out credit card info, bank info, or any money to someone that calls you, no matter who they claim to be.

You can always come visit me, except I’m not exactly in the Bahamas.

Savannah ChaseNovember 24th, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I got another call today while eating breakfast that I won the exact same trip but this time the company called Private and I would need to pay $299. I have called the Sex Show and told them what is going on and they will be dealing with this since they are not to do this when you sing up to be apart of the event.