A Little Bookmark Background

So a lot of people have been asking about the bookmarks I’ve been giving away each month. Yes I make them on my own. They take about 6-8 hours each.

I pretty much start off with printing the book cover or image I want to have with the bookmark..

Then I try to pick out colors that will either match the cover or the story..It is not always easy to pick them. For the example book I have An Empire of Broken Hearts, and since the cover has white and a little red and grey I decided to make the bookmark white and grey.

I measure out the floss I need and find a charm that will match the book or story. In this book my story has something to do with a ring so I picked out a little diamond ring charm…I love the charms I have…

After 6-8 hours of creating this is the finished product. Each little dot you see on the bookmark is hand stitched and threaded. As you can see the end product looks amazing. Is it worth the 6 to 8 hours of work? Yes it is. I love that all of you love them and are happy to see something different. You can never have enough bookmarks when you are a bookaholic.

Enjoy
Stay naughty

June M.December 8th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Your bookmarks are so pretty. When I was a teenager (late 80’s & 90’s) friendship bracelets were very popular. Many were made like this but I could never get them to do right. I do understand how they are worth the work to you. I love to crochet, and have spent a lot of time working on afghans and such for people. It relaxes me and I enjoy it, even if I don’t do it as consistently as I used to.
Thank you so much for sharing these with us. Can you tell us where you get the charms? They are cute.

DeniseDecember 8th, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I love those colours! I do Boondoggle to pass the time. It’s a great hobby. Keep up the wonderful bookmarks Savannah!

Karen CDecember 8th, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I’ve found that I don’t have the patience for this kind of craft – so glad you do!

eden bayleeDecember 8th, 2011 at 10:23 pm

You’re amazing Savannah to be able to do this. Such a nice treat for your readers!

susan LeechDecember 9th, 2011 at 10:08 am

Thanks for sharing this with us. I love these and at one time I could had done them but not anymore. Age and shaking hands prevent me from making crafts I used to love to make and use. Some day I hope to win one of these. I am trying. Merry Christmas and Happy 2012. sue leech garysue@dejazzd.com

Savannah ChaseDecember 9th, 2011 at 11:05 am

Hi guys
Thank you for all the lovely comments.

As for where I get the charms, I have purchased them at bead shops that cally stuff for making jewelry and stuff.

Ruth ChesickDecember 9th, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Beautiful — I also make bookmarks and incidentally, just finished 6 to tuck into Christmas cards that are going to 2 of my reading friends – 3 to each of them. Sometimes I draw little cartoonish pictures on them like I did on one of the afore mentioned bookmarks – these particular ones fit the people that they will be gifted to.

I knit, crochet, do counted cross-stitch, plastic canvas, rug hooking and embroidery. I am unable to knit for very long any more due to hand being caught in machine at work 10 years ago, after 5 or 10 minutes hand hurts – lost 60 percent use of half of left hand. Which is why my typing is slow – can’t keep up in chat rooms, etc.

HOPING EVERYONE HAS A SAFE AND MERRY CHRISTMAS

Savannah ChaseDecember 10th, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Ruth, thank you..I want to learn how to do more.I find it relaxing esp now that the stress is high…

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones as well.