Internet Censorship..SOPA…

Even though I don’t live in the U.S.A I still have an opinion on the whole SOPA( Stop Online Piracy Act) bill…You are probably wondering why? Well like you all I surf the net and pretty much a lot of the content I work with or check out is from the U.S.
But Savannah, aren’t you the one who has been fighting against piracy and all that stuff?

Yup..That is me..I am all for trying to stop pirates from taking or should I say stealing my stuff but this bill is not right. This bill would give anyone the right to pint a finger and say you stole my stuff and there would be no did you take this persons stuff..It would be..sorry were shutting down your website, no iffs ands or butts..What happen to innocent until proven guilty? Oh and did I tell you that it would force ISP’s to block web sites that are not U.S who have been accused of infringing material or content.

What does that mean?

It means sites that are not U.S might not be available in the United Stares.

Who is this bill suppose to protect?

I think music and entertainment but not the rest of us…

I fight piracy all the time but honestly this bill is not helping here. Can’t you take time to write up a bill that would be more specific and aimed at the different infringements. You have stuff to help fight movie and music piracy, can’t you people come up with something to help fight the rest?

This whole bill sorta seems like a witch hunt. I don’t like you so I’m going to accuse you of being a witch and they will burn you even if you are innocent.

Is this the half assed way of doing things because lets face it the government don’t really give a crap about this stuff. It is time to stop and listen to what the people want and need. I know they have voiced their opinion but it seems like it goes in one ear and comes out the other..Or it just goes over their head all together…

If this whole bill was approached differently and written properly I think things might be different.

The Internet and the times are changing..It is time to change with it and do something that will be fair and for the good of the user…

I don’t support piracy in any way form or fashion but the SOPA bill ain’t the way to go in my opinion.

Mary SuzanneJanuary 20th, 2012 at 8:45 am

I agree with you, Savannah. I’ve had quite a few of my titles pirated and want to see something that will help the writer, not just the movie and musical industry.

Savannah ChaseJanuary 20th, 2012 at 8:52 am

Mary, it is sad that what is the top thing on the agenda is money and not the well being..Last night I even saw an article on the net about the guy who created the SOPA bill and how he was pirating photographs..

M. S. SpencerJanuary 20th, 2012 at 9:36 am

There are 2 bills out there, btw–PIPA & SOPA. I’m glad that the Republican sponsors have pulled their support after the outcry (Democrats are still pushing it). Actually the govt’ already has the legal authority to shut down piracy sites–Holder shut down several over Christmas with little fanfare (I was surprised more people didn’t ask for his justification at the time) and just arrested all the mgmt of Megaupload (except the CEO, who is married to Alicia Keys…hmmm). Point is, w/out Republican support these bills won’t pass & we should focus on what the Justice Dept. is doing NOW & whether Holder’s actions are arbitrary or not. If not we don’t need more laws; if they are we need to examine Justice’s process.

Ciara KnightJanuary 20th, 2012 at 10:43 am

They stated that the bill is loosing support. It doesn’t look like it will be going through now. Thank you to Google, Wiki, and bloggers like you. We can stand together and make a difference.

Julia Rachel BarrettJanuary 20th, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Yes, I agree. I’m relieved that the bill seems to be losing support. Not a well-crafted piece of legislation.

Lisa LaneJanuary 20th, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I’m right there with you. Unfortunately, here in the U.S. it is the norm for bills to be promoted as one thing, but contain clauses that have very different and serious repercussions. I am beside myself over this and hope it truly does get vetoed if it somehow passes despite the protests.

Savannah ChaseJanuary 20th, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Guys thank you for all of your great comments and further insight on the topic…I will be wondering myself if this gets tossed out.

WildAboutBonesJanuary 20th, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Thank you Savannah, for bringing this up. These bills are not only censorship but are an attempt to take away freedom of speech here in the US. Most people don’t realize that the bills would allow the government to shut down a website if “they” don’t like what is written on it or there is a picture on it they don’t like. And who are “they”, we don’t know. It could be any idiot or zealot who wants to get rid of anything they consider evil or bad. Or some idiot politican who doesn’t like what his opposition is saying about him. We’re talking about a threat to everyone who has something to say about anything and puts it on the internet – hello can you say good-bye to your favorite book blogger and authors’ websites who give honest opinions and bye-bye sexy excerpts because it would only take a few prudish people to “report” the site.

And Savannah is also correct about us not being given to access to any website whether it is here in the US or not.

This is just another kneejerk reaction by our US government to try to fix something – a bandaid instead of going after the infection. And this won’t help because it is very easy if a site is closed down to create a new website with just a slightly different name. So the bad guys are still in business.

Everyone should be contacting their senators and congressmen and even emailing the president about how we think this is not the answer to piracy. And the last time I heard, Obama wants this law so there would be no veto. And this is an election year, so now is the time to flex your voting power.

Savannah ChaseJanuary 20th, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Wild About Bones, you are welcome and thank you for coming by to voice your opinion..I might not live in the U.S but I know this bill will affect me and the rest of the world…Our voices need to be heard..

Viola RussellJanuary 20th, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I don’t think anyone should steal another’s work, and I believe there are other bills being touted that would be more user friendly. I don’t agree with censorship, and I think we can come up with a middle ground. Anyone who willingly lifts another’s work without paying deserves to be prosecuted, but freedom of speech should not be curtailed.