My Self Publishing Journey

When I first started to hear about authors venturing into the self publishing world I thought that it was wonderful that they had decided to branch out and take control of their books and writing. I also thought to myself that one day I would love to do that as well. As an author published by different publishing houses you don’t see the little things that go on when it comes to your book and the formatting or other technical things that the company does. I’m the type of person that wants to learn. Even if I don’t use the skill that often I want to be able to know how things work and what it takes to get something done. I want to try, even if I only do it once.

I will admit that I was scared to go down the self publishing road. I’d never done it before and it was something new and different. Something I would have to learn more about as I experienced it.

The story I had decided to self publish is Lovers Moan. It is a short read I wrote a while back for a Valentine themed blog hop that I took part in. I wanted to edit more and add more story to what I had originally written.

So I’ve worked on the story the last while and after having beta readers and my crit partners look it over I continued to work on making it better and getting it to where I wanted.

I think the easiest part of this whole thing has been getting a cover done by the designer. All I had to do was tell her what I wanted and she worked her magic.

After I’d edited and finished the story I knew I had to get it formatted and done correctly so that I could upload it onto Smashwords. This is where the harder part came. I’ve never done this before so I had used the guide that the site provides you with. I’d read it over and over and followed the directions but the weird thing is to me the file did no look ok. Plus the fact that measurements in the guide are in inches and my program is in cm does make a difference. Oh in case you are wondering if I just converted the measurements into cm? I did but it won’t let you put it into the program exactly what it is.

During this whole thing I’ve had to rely on the help of other self published authors who have gone through this and had the experience of what to do or expect from everything.

It also made me feel like a newbie. It reminded me of the days when I first decided to put myself out there and try to get published. I felt lost and at times didn’t know where to turn for help or even to ask simple questions.

This made me think of an idea to start myself a file and save questions I had and answers I got to those questions so that later on I had something to reference.

Self publishing might be you trying to do this alone, but you are never alone because you still require support and help to get to the finish line.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to answer my questions, even the ones that might have been not so smart.

Lovers Moan comes out tomorrow and I’m still nervous because I don’t know how people will react. If people will like the story or hate it. I truly hope that they enjoy it.

I know through it all the hardship of the whole thing has not deterred me from doing this again. I plan to release more of my previous free reads as freebie novellas that I hope people will like as well.

Shelley MunroMarch 11th, 2012 at 3:55 am

Congratulations!

Nina CroftMarch 11th, 2012 at 5:01 am

Good luck, Savannah – I’m sure it’s a wonderful story and will do fantastic!

Savannah ChaseMarch 11th, 2012 at 10:24 am

Shelley, thank you…It is an experience that I still have much to learn about.

Nina, thank you…I truly hope everyone likes it..

Karla DoyleMarch 11th, 2012 at 10:28 am

Congratulations, Savannah… on the release and trying something new (because that’s always just a little bit scary). I’m sure you’ll have lots of success!

Kate HofmanMarch 11th, 2012 at 10:51 am

I wish you all the luck in the world, Savannah. So brave, trying something so totally different – self-pubbing.
I know you will be a huge success.

xoxo K

Savannah ChaseMarch 11th, 2012 at 11:15 am

Karla, thank you..The book officially comes out tomorrow so I’m excited…It has been a learning curve..There are so many questions and not everyone can answer them.

Kate, thank you so very much. Your support means so much to me…I hope so…

Julia Rachel BarrettMarch 11th, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Congrats. Self-pubbing is always a work in progress. It’s challenging but at the same time you feel so very free!

Cindy CarrollMarch 11th, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Good luck with the story, Savannah. I’ve been toying with the self-publishing idea as well. Hope your story does amazingly well.

Menina.iscrazyMarch 11th, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Congrats and Good Luck! 🙂

Savannah ChaseMarch 11th, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Menina, thank you so much..The book will be officially released tomorrow…

Abigail Madison ChaseMarch 11th, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Congrats

Maddy BaroneMarch 11th, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Congrats, Savannah! I hope you’ll have lots of happy readers devouring your self-pubbed work.

Lisa FoxMarch 11th, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Yay! Congrats! Everyone is going to love it!

PaParanoramalFan (Renee.)March 11th, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Congrats Savannah on the release of “Lovers Moan” tomarrow & for being so brave to venture into unchartered waters for you, your self-publishing journey.
I wish you much success & I wouldn’t be nervous. You always give your Fans 110%, I just know we’ll love. You already had me just from the Teaser you previously posted. I can’t wait! 🙂
Wishing You All the Best,
PaParanoramalFan (Renee’)
paranormalromancefan@Yahoo.com

JudyMarch 11th, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Thank you. I’m entering this self publish path and yes it is scary.

Regan TaylorMarch 11th, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Congrats Savannah! Self-publishing isn’t something I’d recommend to a lot of people, or at least wanna-be-new authors if they really want to succeed as authors. You know how important a good editor is, how critical good cover art is and how to tell a good story. You’ve paid your dues in both publishing in a house and now on your own. I wish you all the success you richly deserve! Thank you for sharing your journey.

eden bayleeMarch 11th, 2012 at 10:08 pm

So proud of you Savannah. Self publishing is something that I think you will enjoy. I know you are a hard worker and like to venture into different territory – welcome to the new frontier.

Ranae RoseMarch 12th, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Congrats on Lovers Moan. Cute cover!

I took the self-publishing plunge last year. (I’m planning on writing post about my experience in the summer when my one-year anniversary rolls around.) So welcome to the indie world. 😉

I hope Lovers Moan gets lots of love from readers! 🙂

Savannah ChaseMarch 12th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Abigail, thank you so much..

Maddy, thank you very much..

Lisa, thank you..

Renee, you are so kind…I think that after this first try with self publishing things will not be so crazy..I hope you like the story..

Judy, I wish you all the luck in self publishing..

Regan, thank you..I think it is an interesting experience for a published author to give it a try, or even any author…There has been a lot of success with self publishing for people who were rejected by traditional publishers.

Eden, thank you…Now I sorta know what you went through…I know the more I do this it will get a bit easier when it comes to knowing what to do.

Ranae, thank you…I look forward to reading your journey when you write it..It is nice to be a part of the indie family..

Fay MooreMarch 12th, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Would you be willing to guest blog on http://www.faymoore.wordpress.com? Your post on your first experience with self-publishing was eye-opening. Perhaps you could write an update on your experience and share with my readers. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Savannah ChaseMarch 13th, 2012 at 8:26 am

Fay, thank you so much for coming by to check out my blog and for the offer…I will be in contact with you….

Kissa StarlingMarch 14th, 2012 at 5:29 pm

You are awesome and i can’t wait to read your latest work! Thanks for sharing this journey…

Savannah ChaseMarch 15th, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Kissa, thank you so much…It has been an eye opening experience even now with the story being out there…It is not easy and there is so much to learn. I’m blown away at the amount of new things I’ve learned in such a short span of time…