Staying Organized..What Am I To Do?

Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of people post on loops and blogs how they are struggling to stay organized with all their work and everything that goes with it like promo, and writing, and email, plus other stuff.

Honestly I know how they feel. I have these days where I wish I had another me to help take some of the work off my plate. It isn’t easy to keep everything run smoothly.It takes a lot of organization.

I can’t live without my notebook (not laptop, I mean old style notebook) and agenda. It helps me keep track of guest bookings I have on my site or ones I’m booked for. I make sure to mark off things I need to post and promote. Keeping everything running with my agenda helps to keep me on track.

Lately emails have been burring me and it is a sign I need to cut back on that a whole lot. I’ve been keeping myself on a daily minimum of 1k word count either it be edits or work on a new story.

Now that I’ve also started to self publish books the work has gone up more and it requires a lot more focus and organization.  For anyone struggling with staying organized I recommend a calendar or an agenda. Keep track of the little things, and once you are done cross it off or check it off that it is complete and you won’t have to worry if you forgot something or not.

I’ve gotten into a habit and routine with the way I keep myself organized and love it.

How do you keep organized? any suggestions that might help me be even better organized?

Stay naughty,

Shelley MunroApril 18th, 2012 at 4:02 am

Savannah, I totally hear you. There just aren’t enough hours in the day. When I have a lot to do, I revert to lists. Actually ticking items off makes me feel as if I’m in control. I also have a diary – a hardcover one rather than a digital one – where I write down the things I’ve booked etc.
And lately, I’ve let Twitter and Facebook drift a little. It’s either that or the writing. I really enjoy blogging and try to keep that going.

I wonder if all the promo we writers do is necessary/works. It’s so hard to quantify, so who knows?

Shelley, I get you 100%. People wonder why I still the old style agenda instead of doing it all on the computer. I don’t run the computer all day and honestly I like to have something to look at..To keep on track. Yes I tick stuff off as well and it shows me how I’m doing for the day with work. You and me sound so similar with how we do our stuff.

J.C. MartinApril 18th, 2012 at 4:51 am

I echo Shelley. I need a me-clone: one to go to work for me and to do the housework so I can just stay at my computer all day and write!

Any takers? 🙂

I rely on a diary to keep organised. Confirmed appointments go into my Windows Live Mail calendar so they pop up and remind me on the day. I write whenever I’m not working, but progress is achingly slow…

J.C. Martin
A to Z Blogger

J.C, I think we all do…LOL..I’ve been trying to write 1k a day if even that is all I can do for the day. It has been hard to stay on track with all this extra stuff coming down. I’ve started to cut back on a lot.

LaurieApril 18th, 2012 at 5:51 am

I make use of Google Calendar – It’s indispensable to me in keeping up with scheduling authors for my daily feature spots. Even so, sometimes I miss something. I’m always looking for ways to improve organization and efficiency. I love it when things run smoothly and hate it when I have to scramble at the last minute. 🙂

Laurie, I have never tried google calendar, I guess I’m just old fashioned with my trusty agenda. I wish I could just write and everything else would do itself.LOL

ceciliaApril 18th, 2012 at 7:07 am

A wonderful post, Savannah. Like you I have a notebook as well. There was a time I found myself missing on guest post dates, probably have written them on a paper and left on my desk, and it disappeared, only to find out it was hidden within stacks of papers. ugh!
Now I feel more clever and relieved after having that notebook. 😀 Totally helps.

Cecilia, thank you. I have had my notebook since I started to write and I think with time it has become more organizes with check marks and other little things to keep me on track. I can’t imagine not having something to keep me organized.

Suzan ButlerApril 18th, 2012 at 7:58 am

I started using Wunderlist, which syncs to apps on my iPod touch or my Android phone or on my desktop. It lets me set up lists for Home, Work, Writing, whatever I need. Then I just go through and check them off and Wunderlist takes them off my list. I love it dearly. It also emails me reminders which is good, because popup reminders on my screen end up getting dismissed, like my snooze button. I even have a Goals list now, so when i achieve a goal, I can cross it off the list. I love crossing things off. 🙂

Savannah ChaseApril 18th, 2012 at 8:17 am

Suzan, I’ve heard someone mention Wunderlist before but I’ve never tried it. I will have to look into it some more..It sounds like a great program. Thank you for telling me a little more about it.

Ann CoryApril 18th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Great post Savannah! Don’t know what I’d do without notebooks and sticky notes – they save my butt every day. The nice thing is to sit down and not wonder what I need to do – though sometimes it’s scary to see how much there is to get done! lol

🙂

Ann, I tried sticky notes and my desk was covered in them..Plus some started to fall of.. I still use them but very little.

Karla DoyleApril 18th, 2012 at 8:36 am

I’m so far behind on some things, I can’t even see them in the rearview anymore. I honestly don’t know how some people manage to “do it all”, neatly and on-time.
For anything that’s not a repetitive daily thing, or is time-sensitive, I put it in my iphone calendar with alerts to remind me. Otherwise, it’s lost in my brain. Unfortunately, putting it in the calendar doesn’t help me find the time to get it done!

Karla, we must get you back on track..Little by little..

Julia Rachel BarrettApril 18th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Organization is not for the faint of heart. I’m rarely organized but I do my best. There is so much to do – family, work, writing. I’ll be honest, the promo slides these days.

Savannah ChaseApril 18th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Julia, no it is not. You have to run like a finely oiled machine…

Casey SheridanApril 18th, 2012 at 12:32 pm

You are the most organized person I know, Savannah. I’m the exact opposite, but I’m going to use some of your suggestions to help me get better at being organized.

Thanks!

Savannah ChaseApril 18th, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Casey, thank you so much. If you ever need help to get organized just make sure to ask me..I am good at this stuff. Weirdly I always have liked to be organized.

Leigh SavageApril 18th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I hear you as well…I’ve recently started using the Google Calendar for anything related to my blog or visiting blogs…not only can others view who’s visiting or where I’ll be posting at but it also sends me reminders…and I need reminders….blessed be Leigh Savage

Leigh, a few people have mentioned Google Calendar, I think I need to look into it today…Reminders are always such a good thing when life gets nutty.

Rita WrayApril 18th, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I make a list and cross things off when I do them. It makes me feel good to see a bunch of things crossed off at the end of the day.
I’ve been a list maker since I was a teenager.

Ranae RoseApril 18th, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Staying organized can be tough, especially when you’re self-publishing. Whenever I feel overwhelmed, I like to make a list and cross things off one by one. Not only does it keep me from forgetting things, but I feel more motivated to complete them, and satisfied when they’re done.

And whatever happens, I generally put writing first, before promo and other tasks demanding my attention.

Savannah ChaseApril 18th, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Rita, you can never go wrong with a list…

Savannah ChaseApril 18th, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Ranae, it is very hard for self publishing authors. I’ve self published and am published by houses and it takes a lot of hard work. It is not easy to stay on track. Yes I know what you mean about crossing things off.

Carol RiggsApril 18th, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Oh, great idea! I need to get more organized with my scheduled things–guest posts, blog posts, interviews, etc. That way it takes less time (which translates into more time to write!).

Carol, once you get on track it will all go well…More time to do what you want which is write.

Ciara KnightApril 18th, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I’m trying to keep everything in my google calendar, but I’m having trouble remembering things. I also have a task bar open, notebook (paper) and phone notes.

Savannah ChaseApril 18th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Ciara, this is why I love the old style agenda and notebook. I can look at it daily and see what I have coming up what is done..When I finish the task I mark it off.

Layna PimentelApril 18th, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I’ve started to use an agenda again. Between that, my outlook calendar and my phone calendar, I would like to think I’m pretty much covered. The problem with me is that I over commit myself. I have a ridiculously hard time in saying no to anything. I’m sure if I worked on that flaw my time management skills would improve immensely. 🙂

Savannah ChaseApril 18th, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Layna, oh you seem covered with keeping organized. Oh my you sound like me so much..I do that as well. Too much..

Tia NevittApril 18th, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I keep manuscript books as a work journal for work. I keep all my meeting notes in it, so it is all in one place. They are absolutely public; I have no qualm with handing it over to someone if they want to read my notes. When I get something to do in a meeting, I draw a little square and write the todo next to it. When I complete it, I cross it off.

I’m also uber-organized with Outlook!

Tia, I have never tried to use Outlook. From the look of things you are very organized. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave me your feedback.

eden bayleeApril 19th, 2012 at 7:44 am

You are so organized Savannah, and you blog a lot, which makes it even more difficult. I always have an agenda as well, and a journal and a notebook (paper one), pen and paper at hand too.

Savannah ChaseApril 19th, 2012 at 9:50 am

Eden, I have gotten into a weekly routine with blogs and even try to do some extra posts as well that are from my regular stuff like this post. I like doing it a lot. You are organized as well. I love all of your fantastic posts.

AJ BestMay 5th, 2012 at 12:23 am

I’m still slightly (ha ha couldn’t say that with a straight face) organized. I do have to pull myself together as my publishing house does lots of chats and blog tours/hops/etc.

Savannah ChaseMay 5th, 2012 at 8:34 am

AJ, it takes time. You will get into a flow and it will come easy to you..