My First Try At Flash Fiction Friday

I was recently invited to take part in FFF which is Flash fiction Friday. I’ve done flash fiction in the past but it’s been a very long time.The whole point is to write a flash in 100 words, no more no less. So here is my first try. I wasn’t feeling the picture at all this week until the very last moment. As I was checking emails it came to me. T

I awake in the darkness of the night, beads of sweat caress my forehead. I feel lost in familiar surroundings of my room. I struggle to breathe as she flashes in front of my eyes. Her red lips, her eyes piercing through her hands that cover her face, she’s staring inside me, to the very depths of my soul.
“You’re blind to the power that you hold inside you. You say that you see but you truly don’t see the beauty that’s inside you. Until you open your eyes you’re pain will consume you.”
Her words continue to haunt me.

Check out other authors taking part in FFF

Gemma Parkes: http://gemmaparkes.blogspot.com/
Venus Cahill: http://www.venusbookluvr.blogspot.ca/
Kendel Davi: http://kendeldavi.wordpress.com
Sancre Darling: http://sancredarling.blogspot.com
CyrilJ.Michael: http://authorcyriljmichaels.blogspot.ca/
Cassandre Dayne: http://cassandredayne.wordpress.com/
S.J. Maylee: http://SJMaylee.com
Davee Jones: http://finless.blogspot.com/
Leann Mitchell http://leannmitchell.blogspot.com
Benjamin Russell: http://incubuschronicles.blogspot.com/
Sherry Palmer: http://michellechatton.blogspot.com
ER Pierce http://www.erpierce.com
Sherri Hayes: http://sherri-hayes.blogspot.com/

S. J. MayleeApril 27th, 2012 at 8:52 am

Until you open your eyes<– love it!! Excellent first flash, love that it just came to you. her eyes piercing<–yes, great flash

S.J It just hit me all of a sudden out of nowhere. I loved what came out of the sudden inspiration. Something different.

Muffy WilsonApril 27th, 2012 at 9:04 am

How very true for us all. This was wonderful, indeed. Well scripted and inspirational. Loved it, truly:) xo

Muffy, thank you so much..I’ve struggled this week with words and get inspired and this just made me feel alive again.

Bonni SansomApril 27th, 2012 at 9:05 am

You better pay attention to all of those inspirational moments because this one was fantabulous!!! Excellent first post!

Bonnie, thank you so much..I really needed this one. I was so stuck, I couldn’t get the words out. This was just the reboot I needed and I love it.

Ciara KnightApril 27th, 2012 at 9:14 am

Wow, Savannah. This was amazing. You are a gifted writer!

Ciara, thank you so much. that means a lot..I was not expecting to write what I had.

Jennifer JamesApril 27th, 2012 at 9:20 am

OOOhhh. That picture is tres creepy….reminds me of that monster in Pan’s Labyrinth.

That movie really messed with my head.

Great flash Savannah. It’s tough to do, but such a great exercise.

Jennifer, it is a creepy one I agree. I’ve never seen the movie…Thank you..it is my first 100 flash..The ones I had done before were 500 word ones. This is new but a great way to get the creative flow going again.

Kendel DaviApril 27th, 2012 at 9:30 am

Savannah, this was excellent. You really capture a raw emotional and let it float on your words.

Kendel, thank you so much..I did not expect this myself. It just came out of me.

Laura EnoApril 27th, 2012 at 9:40 am

Excellent! The 100 words exactly is actually a drabble. Very difficult to do.

Laura, I’ve never done 100 so this is new and exciting.

Debora DennisApril 27th, 2012 at 9:42 am

How fun is this! Nice job…haunting words and inspiring!

Debora, thank you so much.

ceciliaApril 27th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Great flash, Savannah! Good thing I love creepy 🙂 especially those eyes popping through the eyes. Awesome!

Cecilia, thank you so much. this picture was creepy but also interesting. It was a great experience to write this.

Adriana KraftApril 27th, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I love this – sounds like a GOOD haunting, glad you’re back at flash fiction!

Adriana, thank you…It is good to be back and even more so doing 100 words. I did 500 word ones when I first started to write. It was difficult when I was learning and just getting into the flow of the writer world. I’m so glad I did this one today.

Bonnie PaulsonApril 27th, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Wow Savannah, it’s beauitfully written and I love how evocative the phrasing is.

Bonnie, thank you so much. It just came out of me. I think the last two weeks I’ve felt drained of words and being able to express myself and this just was my return.

Ann CoryApril 27th, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Kind of a creepy picture, but you made it so much more beautiful with your words 🙂 Great job on the flash fiction! WOO HOO!

Ann, thank you so much…It is a haunting image and it spoke to me weirdly early in the morning…

ERPApril 27th, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Excellent post Savannah 🙂 Self-reflection is so very difficult, you captured it beautifully.

ERP, yes it is..I think it turned out so good. I will say I was surprised at what I’d written.

PaParanormalFan (Renee’ S.)April 27th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Hello Savannah,

What a Wonderfully Creative Job Savannah on what I feel is a very difficult picture for a 100 word FF. We would never have known that was your first if you didn’t tell Us, but that just shows how talented you are as a Author. 🙂

Take care Everyone & Stay Naughty,
PaParanormalFan (Renee’ S.)
paranormalromancefan at yahoo dot com

Savannah ChaseApril 27th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Renee, thank you so very much…Yes for 100 word flash that is a first. Thank you for your kind and inspiring words. It means so much. I can’t wait to do more of these 100 word posts.

Stay naughty yourself… 😉

Sancre DarlingApril 27th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Gawd Savannah, and you lied to me… you said you had writer’s block…lol. This was deep and haunting. Great first flash woman!

Sancre DarlingApril 27th, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Correction to that…not writer’s block…lol. writer’s chaos..which I suffer from also. But it didn’t stop you. Wonderful!

Savannah ChaseApril 27th, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Sancre Darling, no you were write. I have been in a writer’s block. For two weeks I’ve been struggling with getting any word out of my head and onto the page. I struggled and cried and cursed like a sailor. The more I did the more blocked I was. Only today in the early morning hours when I looked at the photo the words were released and this was the flash that was a result of it all. I too was shocked that I had created this since I’d been so stuck and so empty of words. What is writer’s chaos? Thank you for your kind words and support.

eden bayleeApril 27th, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Nice flash Savannah, great reading more of your creative writing xoxo

Shyla ColtApril 28th, 2012 at 2:23 am

Oh that came out awesome Savannah! I hope you do the flash fiction again!

Shelley MunroApril 28th, 2012 at 3:11 am

Great job, Savannah. That picture is a little creepy. Just saying 🙂

Savannah ChaseApril 28th, 2012 at 7:19 am

Eden, thank you so much..

Shyla, I plan on it for sure…

Shelley, it is creepy but interesting and makes you think..

J.C. MartinApril 28th, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Interesting take on the photo. I say that’s a pretty good first attempt at flash fiction. 🙂

BrindaApril 28th, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Flash fiction is really difficult (to do well). With only 100 words, you have to create a situation, character, mood, etc and you’ve done it. Great job.

Savannah ChaseApril 28th, 2012 at 5:41 pm

J.C, thank you so much. It is a neat pic for sure.

Brinda, thank you..It is hard. 100 words is very little and takes opening your eyes.

Sherry M. PalmerMay 2nd, 2012 at 12:02 pm

What an amazing Flash. It made me feel so much in just 100 words. It touched me very much, as like her I don’t feel or see what others see in me. This actually made me cry, I know exactly how your main character feels and wonder if I will ever “open my own eyes”. Thank you.

Sherry, thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to read it and to share what you did. You are not a lone. I think a lot of us don’t really see how amazing we are or can be.