Watch Out: Guest Blog D. McEntire Asks Is There Too Much Sex

Today I want to welcome D.McEntire to Watch Out. Instead of the interview feature were going to switch it up a little with a guest blog. Welcome Diane, so wonderful to have you here on Watch Out…Today’s topic…Too much sex…Take it away Diane…

Too much sex?

Is there ever too much sex in fiction romance?

The other day my two sisters and I were talking about our favorite romance books and came upon the question about too much sex. One sister loves the jumpin’ the bones type of stories where every time you turn around the characters are getting it on. My other sister was on the fence. Her reply was that it depended upon her mood. My take is that I love a good story to go with it. In the books I write, I have a minimum of one “interlude” and a maximum of three. But, am I cheating the reader?

We all know that sex sells, and if it didn’t I wouldn’t be doing all those Pure Romance Parties during my spare time and having so much fun at it! But, as a writer, I am always curious to see what readers want.

Do you feel the characters need to build up that special moment or is love at first sight enough to get the juices flowing? Do multiple interludes keep you interested or does it get a little “been there, done that”?

Sex…simmering, boiling or runneth over?

D. (Diane) McEntire
www.dmcentire.com

Shelley MunroMay 15th, 2012 at 4:35 am

Great question, Diane, and one I’ve been pondering this week myself. I’ve read a lot of erotic romance, and this year I started thinking that the books seemed the same. I wanted more story to support the sex/love scenes. I’ve actually been reading young adult stories and really enjoying the genre.

Erica PikeMay 15th, 2012 at 10:04 am

I prefer erotic romance, because I want the sex…but I want the romance more. Your rule of min 1, max 3 is very good and clever. I think I may need to adopt that one myself ^.^ I was so eager writing my first m/m stories last year that I think I wrote a little too much sex. I’ve calmed down since…to a point where I just had half a scene in my upcoming short story (yeah, I’m probably cheating the reader there). Min 1 and max 3, depending on the story length and situation, is a very good rule.

Savannah ChaseMay 15th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Diane, thank you for being my guest today on Watch Out. I personally like the sex as long as it has to do with the story and not just because..

CatherineMay 15th, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Like Shelley, I like a good YA every so often. The blush and newness of first love. I like to mix up my reading. I’ll read something that has only one “sex” scene and I’ll enjoy that book but there are sometimes when it’s ALL sexsexsex and I’ll set that down for another day. I’m with Erica…The best of both is “romantic erotica”…put the romance before the erotica. I can take the romance without the erotica, but I’m less likely to keep reading the erotica without the romance.

Catherine, I agree..We can’t have sex all the time…I switch it up with books as well. You are right, the best of both worlds.. I write sweet romance and there is no sex in there as well .I like to write those kinds of stories also..It is something pure and old style romantic.

JeriMay 15th, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Good question..

Honestly sex is now becoming too common and a little bit monotonous.. I have started skipping those scenes unless I am really in the mood.. ;)

If I look back on my all time favourite romance books, I noticed that majority of them come under minimum or no sex scenes..

In my opinion if I want sex more, I would opt for erotic romance but if I am reading others, I want to see more feelings and emotions and if they eventually lead to maybe one or two sex scenes, thats okay but not necessary..

Jeri, oh yes..I think if stories of the non erotic romance genre are slipping in sex scenes just for the hell of it, it kills the story. The sex has to go with the romance..It has to have a meaning in the plot..not just well lets add some sex…just because..

eden bayleeMay 15th, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I like sex in the story so long as it fits the plot.
Characters, their interaction, and the ability to weave a good story with or without sex is what keeps me interested in reading.

Savannah ChaseMay 15th, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Eden, very well put…..Thank you for stopping over…

Linda MorrisMay 15th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I’ve actually heard more and more readers on Twitter lately complaining that too many “erotic romances” are all erotic and not much romance. (And these are not readers who have shy and retiring tastes! They read and are comfortable with all kinds of steamy books, but they’re getting bored with the sameness.) I sort of think publishing has a bandwagon problem in general. Vampire books do well, so the market is flooded with those. Erotic romance is big, so everybody adds more sex scenes with more bodies, more kink, etc. and sort of forgets about the romance. 50 Shades has been a smash, so it’s all about BDSM. I read everything from sweet to erotic romance (and write somewhere in between), but I’m finding myself a bit turned off by the sameness as well.

Kissa StarlingMay 15th, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Great blog that got me thinking. I love that you write and sell PR too!

Savannah ChaseMay 15th, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Linda, I think if the market does get flooded things start to fizzle out and the appeal just is not there. Like I said before. The romance, the story and everything else have to flow together and not just because you want it there. Everything has to flow and weave together…

Leigh SavageMay 15th, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I think if it goes with the story then its all good. Myself I love reading all the differt type of books.
blessed be
Leigh Savage

KrissyMay 15th, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I think it depends on the story and what is going on, as long as its not distracting or taking away from the plot but i enjoy when the story is hot, sometimes there just isnt enough sex lol i dont mind when a story doesnt have sex at all but if im reading an erotica novel i think the sex is implied… (hm?;) anywho..
if a personal preference is to not have sex or so much sex, dont read erotica.. many novels even have labels that will tell you that its “hot” and or is graphic, has lots of sex in it..
but if a novel has lots of sex there needs to be a good story line too to balance it out, but if it only has sex and no story line it kills it for me. so again it all comes down to preference.
if a reader doesnt want sex, dont read erotica.
just my opinion…

BrindaMay 15th, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Hi Diane. I usually like some tension, romance, and buildup before the sex. I read a wide variety of heat levels and always expect a plot and character development.

Savannah ChaseMay 15th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Leigh, true….

Krissy, very well put…

Brinda, all the good things that make up a good read..

Thank you all for taking the time to stop by today and support my guest blogger..

Andrea DallingMay 15th, 2012 at 10:06 pm

For me, the amount of sex isn’t the issue. It’s how critical the sex is to the development of the plot and character. I’m currently working on a 15,000 word novella that contains 5 sex scenes. Sounds like a lot (and it is), but it’s through those scenes that the seeds of character development are sown. Take the sex scenes out, and the novel makes no sense.

On the other hand, gratuitous sex wastes the reader’s time. If the scene is there only for titillation, it should be cut IMO.

Andrea, I agree with you…Everything needs to go together…From the looks of things many feel that way.

Rosanna LeoMay 16th, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Great question, and lots of great comments. Personally, I read erotic romance for a reason. I like the sex. And I feel a little bummed when the characters “close the door” on me! That being said, it shouldn’t be gratuitous, in my opinion. I like a build up, so that when it happens, I really want it to happen! :)

Savannah ChaseMay 16th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Rosanna, I so agree with you…Thank you for taking the time to stop on over and give your opinion..

AJ BestMay 18th, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I’ve read some books that start with the characters not knowing each other and they are in bed two minutes later. I don’t like that. I want to see their love and relationship build before sex happens.