Staying Fresh

2007 was the year I dipped my foot in the professional publishing pool. I’d been writing for years but knew nothing about how to get into the industry. Now a few years later I’ve been fortunate to learn so much about the ins and outs of publishing.

Am I a pro? No way..Far from it..I continue to learn each and every single day..

Looking back when I first started to publish, there is no doubt about how much everything has changed. There are so many more author’s out there who are trying to get published or publishing books.

With the takeover of ebook readers and epublishing, a lot more people are taking that step to try and live out their dreams of being a published author.

The advice I use to hear was write what you know..Does that still apply? Yes and no…More author’s including myself are venturing out to publish things that we don’t know about. The new challenge is learning more about it so that we get the info right.

I might write erotic romance but I love all different genres, not just contemporary or paranormal. With passing time new and unique genre’s are popping up on the scene and you learn to adapt and go with the flow.

It might be something you never knew about, but find it interesting.

You try to grow as an author and get your ideas on the page, bring to life new stories. Even reinvent old things and make them new and interesting…

Author’s are starting to blend genre’s to mix it up a little.

Our mind is not limited when it comes to creativity.

I wanted to ask, do you think blending genre’s and creating new ones is good for fiction?

Original blog post was posted was posted July 31, 2011 @ http://wcguest.blogspot.com/2011/07/blog-post.html

sueAugust 6th, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Hi Savannah – hope all is well – interesting post – yes combining genres makes for interesting reading – and writing. With my latest venture I have to do a lot of research as it starts in the 50s. Fascinaating stuff

Stafford WoodsAugust 7th, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I agree with Sue. I’m working on a project that includes background information from the 70’s but the main portion of the story will take place in the near future.

NasAugust 7th, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Hi Savannah,

Interesting and thought provoking, combining the genres may bring some readers who are used to one genre only.

Eg, I love romance and mystery, yet I started reading a bit of erotic for it’s romantic elements. And if a book has all three, romance, mystery and is a bit hot, I’ll read it!

Casey SheridanAugust 8th, 2011 at 10:04 am

Hi Savannah!

Yes, I think it’s a good idea to blend genres, keeps things fresh and interesting for both the author and the reader.

Like fashion, I’m sure blending some genres will go out of style and things will go back to the traditional, letting the cycle begin all over. What’s old is new and what’s new is old. That kind of thing.

Interesting post!

eden bayleeAugust 8th, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Keeping things fresh is important for readers but also for an author. It is one of the things that helps one to stay fresh, and write with a distinct voice across different genres.
Great post Savannah.

Tatiana CaldwellAugust 16th, 2011 at 4:48 pm

In my mind, romance and erotic romance by nature are a blend of genres. Rarely do you read a romance these days that is JUST a romance. It’s Paranormal Romance. Sci-fi Romance. Romantic Suspense. Fantasy Erotic Romance. Mixing it up seems natural to me, because love can happen any time and any where, with any one.

I say blend away!

Savannah ChaseDecember 9th, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Thank you all for the fantastic feedback..It is great to see all the different things each of us do to keep and stay fresh…